Thursday, August 13, 2009

August

IMG_6523frame

The cicadas and the coneflowers tell me it's August.


IMG_6676frame

I should have ripe tomatoes by now, but these beautiful green tomatoes are most of what I'll get this year thanks to the late blight. That's my great-grandmother Granny Riddle's yellow-ware bowl that she used when making her bread dough. I don't know if Granny Riddle ever had her tomato crop fail on her, but I'm sure she would have done something with the green tomatoes if she had. That's what you did when you lived during the Depression in rural Appalachia....you used what you had, because otherwise you didn't have anything at all. I made a batch of green tomato chutney with most of the green tomatoes I harvested the other day. Granny Riddle may not have ever had chutney, but I know she would have approved of using the green fruit up in one way or another.

No comments: