Thursday, November 5, 2009

Fall in Southwest Virginia

Went for walks in Riner and around Pandapas Pond outside of Blacksburg last week. Most of our trees have lost their leaves now, except for the red oaks that still flame red in the sere landscape.

Pandapas Pond, edited

A lonely feather on a misty afternoon.

Lonely feather, edited

I love the color in these late berries.

Not grapes, edited

I suspect this is the exotic, invasive Asiatic bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus Thunb.), but it's still pretty.

Bittersweet, edited

I'm always looking for interesting seed pods and plant architecture at this time of the year.

MilkweedPod, edited

FluffySeedHeads, edited

Sometimes the commonest of roadside weeds become sculptural masterpieces at the end of their existence.

Teasel, edited

IMG_7742frame

I always enjoy taking pictures in the spring when everything is fresh, green, and new, but I think I'm about to find fall just as much fun to photograph.

No comments: