Friday, September 17, 2010

And now for something different....

I've got a huge stash of felted wool sweaters that I use for various projects. I ran across a picture of a throw blanket made from wool pieces and decided to make one myself. Then I promptly lost the directions for how to make one, so I winged it. This is made from four sweaters and one cream wool blanket.

SweaterPatchBlanket1

I used a featherstitch to butt seam the pieces together.

FeatherStitch

I randomly appliqued some smaller pieces on the cream squares.

SweaterPatchwork2

Overall I like the way it turned out, but it's not perfect.

SweaterPatchwork3

I didn't take into consideration how difficult it is to join ribbed knits this way....they're very stretchy and the squares get distorted if you're not very careful. Also, I managed to join two cream colored squares side by side, even though I took a lot of time to lay the quilt out before sewing it together. I must have turned one of the columns the wrong way when I joined them together.

I'm sure I'll make another one, but in the end making this blanket didn't give me the same kind of thrill that the quilts do. However, I think this technique will make some gorgeous scarves for winter.

1 comment:

Evelyn Weddle said...

Man girl...you just totally suck!!! I can tell those stiches are just awful. :O

Seriously...you rock!! I am in awe at how quickly you churn out these quilts and they are all so beautiful!!