Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Garden Update, July 2011

Since I'm in denial that it's already August, I thought I'd post an update on my garden circa two weeks ago.

GardenGateJuly2011

The garden gates.

SweetCornJuly2011

Sweet corn.

OkraJuly2011

Okra.

GreenTomatoesJuly2011

Green tomatoes.

BabyGreenTomatoesJuly2011

Green tommy toes.

TigerellaTomatoesJuly2011

Ripening Tigerella tomatoes, a striped variety. You can see that I recycle strips of fabric and selvedge to tie up my tomatoes. 

HalfrunnersJuly2011

That green twisty mess in the foreground? Those would be half runner beans. 

Funny thing about the beans...the description said that they would be mostly bushy so I thought "Perfect! Just what I need for my first attempt at growing beans!" And they are mostly bushy on the bottom. It's just that the half that's the runner part is trying to run clear over to Radford. (Note to self: You will fence the beans next year.)

GardenHarvestJuly2011

One evening's harvest: patty pan squash, eight-ball zucchini, half runner beans, sungold tomatoes.

YoungPumpkinVinesJuly2011

Young pumpkin vines in the pumpkin patch.

PumpkinsOnFenceJuly2011

Young pumpkin vines yearning to escape the fence. (Steve took the fence down about a week after this picture was taken, and now the pumpkin vines are trying to join the bean vines over in Radford.)

CompostPileJuly2011

The compost pile in all of its stinky, funky, ugly glory.

ThunderHeadsJuly2011

And now a reason to head indoors.

No comments: