Friday, June 8, 2012

Birthday Cakes

We celebrated Ally's fifth birthday last weekend. Lately she's been talking about how her favorite color is "lavender blue with sprinkles." I just happened to find lavender and blue sugar sprinkles in the cake decorating aisle, along with some shiny pink sugar flakes, and that's how we wound up with this cake for birthday number five.



Yes, it was rather florescent and the frosting got a little crunchy, but Ally loved it. (FYI, seven minute frosting will turn into meringue if you beat it long enough. Who knew?)



I've made Ally a variety of cakes for her birthdays. Some were prettier than others, but all have been fun.



There was a ladybug cake for her first birthday in 2009. It was strawberry flavored with pink frosting. It was so warm that day that the frosting began to melt and I didn't dare remove the wax paper strips because I was afraid that it might take off the frosting.
 















Ally didn't care.

In 2009 I made a monkey cake. It was a banana cake with chocolate frosting. Design wise, I think this one was my best so far.







In 2010 I made a simple vanilla cake with chocolate frosting decorated with butter flies and a flower. 



That's the year Ally learned about licking frosting off the beaters.




Last year we were at the beach, so I made a beach birthday cake. The "sand" is crushed graham crackers over a marshmallow fluff frosting (yep, marshmallow fluff straight out of the jar).



The shells are real, but I did run them through the dishwasher before putting them on the cake.


Again, I'm not sure Ally would have cared.

No comments: