Thursday, May 6, 2010

More Life with Ally

Me: Ally, what do you want for breakfast?

Ally: I want snack!

Me: No, it's breakfast time. What do you want to eat?

Ally (pauses for a moment): Gummies! Popsicles! Ice cream!

Me: No, those are snack foods. Do you want a cereal bar this morning?

Ally: No. (pause) Yes!

I take the cereal bar and start to open it. This triggers a total toddler meltdown with wails, tears, and kicking.

Ally: Noooooooo! Me do it!

Me: Ally you can't open these yet. The package is too hard to open for you to do it by yourself.

Ally (wailing): No Mommy, I do it! I do it! I do it!

I put the opened cereal bar on the table.

Me: Sorry, honey, it's already opened. But you can take it out of the wrapper.

Ally (looks at cereal bar, bursts into tears): I don't want to take it out of the wrapper! I want it on a plate! Take it out of the wrapper!

Me (sighing and reaching for plate): Okay, here it is on a plate. Are you sure you want me to take it out of the wrapper for you?

Ally: Noooooooooo! I do it! (More tears.)

Me (backing away and no longer making eye contact): Okay honey....you do it.

Seconds later...

Ally (in a small voice): I can't get the wrapper off, Mommy.

No comments: